“Feel the fear and do it anyway.”
I have quite a few fears that I am trying to conquer. This thing that I call fear is holding me hostage deep inside of my mind and my soul. I am longing to be freed from the chains that bind me at the ankles which only allow me to walk so far. Far enough to where I can see the white light of success but not far enough to where I can touch it.
How do I break free? When I do break free? How do I stay free?
Fear: a feeling that is induced by perceived danger or threat that occurs in certain types of organisms, which causes a change in metabolic and organ functions and ultimately a change in behavior, such as fleeing, hiding, or freezing from perceived traumatic events.
So how do you overcome it?
- Identify the fear and accept it for what it is. How does it make you feel?
- Realize that it is ok to have the fear.
- Acknowledge it.
- Don’t judge it or yourself.
- Understand what triggers it.
- Practice engaging in the fear. Don’t run from it.
- Learn a relaxation technique. Try meditation or writing it down in a journal.
- See fear as an opportunity. For example: If you have a fear of an upcoming project, plan ahead and get prepared. Both mentally and physically.
I have a fear of letting go and stepping out on faith when it comes to writing. I have written and published one book. The second book draft is completed. However, I am afraid to sit down and do the work to get it out there. Some say to me that I am fearful of success. And you know what, I will agree with this statement. Could it be that I am afraid of the hard that it will take to put into it? Or maybe I am impatient and want it now without doing the work? Maybe I am afraid to show myself that I can really do this and succeed at it.
I am now at a place in my life where fear will no longer have me chained at the ankles. How will I know how to conquer this if I am not willing to accept it and acknowledge it for what it is…..Fear.